The Brodie Awards are a fun little yearly activity intended to give some extra recognition and signal boost to the best LDS-interest content published/posted during the past year. I know I haven’t kept this blog as lively as I’d like, but I hope people are still interested in participating in nominating and voting for these awards. This is your opportunity to review your favorite pieces, find out about great works you may have missed, and even promote your own work!
As usual, I will start by posting a list of suggested categories (from last year), but the precise list of award categories depends on your suggestions. Please feel free to browse the sidebar for ideas on award categories we’ve used in the past for ideas. Below the suggested categories, I will post the nomination guidelines.
Year-long awards for people and groups:
- Best New Podcast
- Best New Blog/Channel/Site
- Best Podcast
- Best Humor/Satire Blog/Channel/Podcast
- Best Site of Images/Memes/Comics
- Best Mormon History Blog/Channel/Podcast
- Best Exmormon Reddit Contributor
Awards for Individual Works:
- Best LDS-Interest Book (fiction)
- Best LDS-Interest Book (non-fiction)
- Best LDS-Interest Song
- Best LDS-Interest Comic or Image
- Funniest Humor Piece
- Best Parody or Metaphor
- Most Poignant Personal Story
- Best Life Journey Piece
- Best History Piece
- Best Activist Action or Movement Within Mormonism
- Best Leak or Personal Recording
- Best Watchdog Piece
- Best Discussion of Activism
- Best Op-Ed
- Best Film or Media Presentation
- Best Scripture Study Piece
- Best From the Pulpit Sermon
- Best LDS-Culture Piece
- Most Insightful Commentary on the CoJCoL-dS
- Best Theological Discussion
- Best Discussion on Race
- Best Discussion on Polygamy and/or Sexual Abuse within Mormonism
- Best Discussion on Gender and/or Orientation
And here are the nomination guidelines:
- Please nominate as many people, books, blogs, sites, podcasts, songs, articles, images, etc. as you want. However, please do not nominate more than two individual works by any one author/artist.
- You are encouraged to nominate your own works. No one knows better than you do which pieces were your best. No more than two, though.
- Please nominate works that first appeared during 2019.
- Please try to nominate people and works that have some connection with Mormonism (eg. either the work touches on Mormonism, or the author is a current or former Mormon and/or is an active participant in our community).
- A category must have at least three nominations in order to be included in the voting and awards phase.
- You may suggest your own categories — however please do it as early as possible in the nominations process, to give others plenty of time to add nominations in your proposed categories.
- Any other proposed changes to the categories or to the guidelines are welcome — feel free to discuss it in the comments.
- The nominations will be open until mid-January, 2020, depending on my schedule. I will finalize the dates and categories and add my own nominations a few days before the nominations close and voting begins.
How to nominate: Just post your nominations as comment to this thread, but please include links to the works you nominate. If your nomination comment ends up in the spam filter, please email me (chanson dot exmormon at gmail dot com) and I will fish it out.
I look forward to reviewing the best works from 2019!!!