Collecting Nominations for the 2022 Brodie Awards!!
It’s that time of year again!! Time to recognize the best creative works of the year in the LDS/Ex-Mormon universe!! Main Street Plaza has been hosting these awards since 2009 — back when the blogging world was a bit more lively… But even though the hotspots of social media keep moving to new places (I’m currently posting on Mastodon as @firstname.lastname@example.org), I still think it’s fun ans worthwhile to keep up the tradition here — and I hope you agree!!
The objective of the “Brodie Awards” is to give a bit more recognition and signal boost to creative works by ex-Mormons (or any liberal Mo’s willing to hang with us) that have LDS-interest subject matter.
As usual, I’ll review the guidelines, then list the category recommendations, and then you (yes you!! whoever you are!) are free to submit your nominations in the comments below.
- Please nominate only works that first appeared during 2022.
- Please include links to the works you nominate. (If your nomination comment doesn’t appear right away, please email me at chanson dot exmormon at gmail dot com).
- Please nominate as many people, books, blogs, sites, podcasts, songs, articles, images, etc. as you want. However, please do not nominate more than two individual works by any one author/artist.
- You are encouraged to nominate your own works. No one knows better than you do which pieces were your best. No more than two, though.
- Please only nominate works that have some connection with Mormonism (or, y’know, the religious movement formerly known as “Mormonism” *eyeroll*).
- A category must have at least three nominations in order to be included in the voting and awards phase.
- You may suggest your own categories — however please do it as early as possible in the nominations process, to give others plenty of time to add nominations in your proposed categories.
- Any other proposed changes to the categories or to the guidelines are welcome — feel free to discuss it in the comments.
- The nominations will be open until mid-January, 2023, depending on my schedule. I will finalize the dates and categories and add my own nominations a few days before the nominations close and voting begins.
Here are my proposed categories — keeping in mind that these are just suggestions. You can see the old winners’ lists in the sidebar for other potential category ideas, or suggest your own!
Year-long awards for sites/channels/etc.:
- Best LDS-interest podcast
- Best LDS-interest video channel
- Best LDS-interest blog
- Best new LDS-interest channel/site/blog
Awards for individual works:
- Best LDS-interest book (fiction)
- Best LDS-interest book (non-fiction)
- Best LDS-interest song
- Best LDS-interest video
- Best LDS-interest short (e.g. TikTok)
- Best LDS-interest Tweet
- Best LDS-interest Reddit thread
- Best LDS-interest public Facebook discussion
- Best LDS-interest podcast episode
- Best LDS-interest comic or image
- Funniest LDS-interest work of humor
- Best treatment of subject X (where you suggest the subject when nominating)
Additionally, please be aware that the nominations for X-Mormon of the Year are still open here. We’ve gotten a fair amount, but we could use some more — especially nominations for people who did something noteworthy specifically during 2022.
Thanks in advance — I look forward to seeing the best LDS-interest creative works of 2022!!