It’s time to vote for Wm. Law X-Mormon of the Year 2019!!!
We’ve got some amazing choices for X-Mormon of the Year 2019 — please vote below (scroll down for more info on the candidates). Also note, nominations for the Brodie Awards are underway — please add your nominations here!
- Cody and Leah Young: Excommunicated from the CoJCoL-dS in 2019 after forming a Facebook group for former and questioning Mormons — find out all the details in their Mormon Stories interviews.
- Jacinda Arden: Prime Minister of New Zealand. She had a number of notable accomplishments in 2019, including passing a comprehensive gun control program.
- Kyrsten Sinema: U.S. Senator from Arizona. Upon taking office in 2019, she became the first openly bisexual person elected to the United States Senate, as well as the first woman elected to the United States Senate from Arizona.
- David Nielson: Whistleblower who filed documents in late 2019 stating that the CoJCoL-dS had stockpiled $100 billion in an investment fund without any educational or charitable purpose.
Folks, I excluded a number of nominations for the following reasons. If you disagree, please feel free to leave a comment below. I welcome critical comments and am willing to consider your points. In creating the above poll, I have merely followed the traditional guidelines that we’ve hammered out over the past 10 years this award has been running.
- Sam Young: He won last year. I think it would make sense to allow someone to be in the running again if they’d done something very different from what they won for in the past, but I don’t think people should win two years in a row for the same activism.
- Russel M. Nelson and the mods at r/mormon: This award is meant to honor X-Mormons who have made a big splash — it’s not a booby prize for insulting people who wouldn’t want to receive it.
- Radio Free Mormon and Jana Riess: This award is intended for actions such as activism. For artists, writers, and other content providers — please nominate them and their works for the Brodie Awards.
The polls will remain open until Saturday, January 18, 2020, at 10:00 am Switzerland time. I look forward to seeing who will win!!!