Second call for Brodies nominations 2022!!
Thanks everyone for the fantastic nominations so far!! The Brodie Awards are a way to give an extra shout-out to the great exmo and LDS-interest content over the past year — and you can nominate your favorites!! (See the initial nominations thread for guidelines.)
In order to make it easier for you to add your own picks, I’ll do an intermediate nomination round-up in this post so you can see which categories need more candidates.
Please remember any given category requires at least three nominees in order to be included in the voting phase. So if your favorite work is in a category that has only 1 or 2 nominations, it’s a good idea to nominate some competitors — and thereby find and promote some additional works that you might not have discovered otherwise!
My plan is to keep the nominations open for two weeks. So we’ll announce the winner of X-Mormon of the Year and post the polls for the Brodies on January 18th, 2023.
Year-long awards for sites/channels/etc.:
Best New LDS Channel/Site/Blog 2022:
- Unboxing Queer Mormonism
- The Widow’s Mite Report
- This category needs one more nomination to be included in the voting.
Best Overall LDS-interest Content Creator 2022:
- Zelph on the Shelf
- (several people nominated Zelph on the Shelf for best content overall — if we move forward with this category, I’ll probably include all of the content creators from all content subcategories here as well and see what happens…)
Best LDS-interest Podcast 2022:
- Radio Free Mormon
- Human Stories with Jill Hazard Rowe
- Latter Gay Stories
Best LDS-interest Video Channel 2022:
Best LDS-interest Blog 2022:
- Wheat & Tares
- This category needs 2 more nominations to continue to the voting phase.
Best /r/exmormon Redditor 2022:
Awards for individual works:
Best LDS-interest Book (Fiction) 2022:
- Seer Stone, by Donna Banta
- Orgy at the STD Clinic, by Johnny Townsend
- One Breath from Drowning, by Kent Quaney
- If You Want Me Close, by Skye Kilaen
Best LDS-interest Book (Memoir) 2022:
- Revising Eternity, edited by Holly Welker
- I’m Glad My Mom Died, by Jeanette McCurdy
- Rainbow Letters, by Gary M. Watts M.D.
- Note: There was a request to split the book category by single vs. multiple authors instead of fiction vs. memoir. I am open to splitting up the categories that way or even to adding more categories for books. I just need to have 3 (valid) nominations per category.
Best LDS-interest TV Series 2022:
Best LDS-interest Short Video (YouTube/TikTok) 2022:
- There was a nomination for Zelph on the Shelf’s “Charly” — but that video is from 2021. Please pick a 2022 video to nominate.
- I know there were some great individual videos in 2022, please nominate your faves!
Funniest LDS-interest Short Video (YouTube/TikTok) 2022:
- If we can get enough nominations for individual videos, it would be cool to have a separate humor category — let’s see!
Best Work on Healing from Religious Trauma 2022:
- The Miracle of Forgiveness Virtual Art Gala
- This category needs two more nominations to continue to the voting phase.
Best Treatment of LDS Finances 2022 (or possibly “Best LDS-interest Investigative Reporting 2022”):
- The Widow’s Mite Report
- One of the two suggested categories needs two more nominations to continue to the voting phase.
Best LDS-interest Twitter Thread 2022:
- Being born Mormon was like going to a really lovely party where…
- This category needs two more nominations to continue to the voting round (plus we can have a separate category for “Best individual Tweet” if we get nominations for those).
Please note that the categories can still be tweaked further. For example, we might consider creating a “visual fine arts” category for the “Miracle of Forgiveness Virtual Art Gala” if it is easier to find nominations for that category. Or, for example, in the past we would often have a “best post title” category — I forgot to add that one on my list of suggested categories, but it’s not too late if we have some good contenders.
Again, thanks so much for all of the great nominations!! I’ve already learned about some great new sites and creators! If you can add some more nominations below — and ask your friends to add theirs as well — we’d really appreciate it!
BTW, there’s also at least one reddit threads for this:
Best new site: floodlit.org
Best video channel: Backyard Professor
Blog: By Common Consent, just so there’s something else to vote on!
This is a great twitter thread
Best work on healing from religious trauma 2022: The Dark Night of the Soul by Jacob
This would take a bit of category tweaking but it seems like Jana Riess’s column “Flunking Sainthood” would be a match for the Brodies. https://religionnews.com/category/opinion/columns/jana-riess/
I just learned about this blog and am super curious who nominated my dad’s book. Not sure how to contact you but can you message me and let me know?
-Nemo the Mormon
Best new site:
Best podcast episode:
-LDS Discussions series on Mormon Stories (example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB3iwEX8WhY)
-The Dark Side of a Mormon Mission – Brinley Jensen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c40rRpTNeK4)
-Growing Up in Polygamy – Sam & Melissa Zitting Wyson (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlTAdAUzYRM)
-Mormon Church Defends Minnesota Leader of Sexual Assault (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZHNeXcrfQw)
-Mormonism LIVE: 079: Mormonism’s History of The Holy Garments
-Mormonism LIVE: 096: Mormonism & Masonry
-Radio Free Mormon: 259: Mormonism and the Rules of Evidence
Best TV Series:
-A Friend of the Family: True Evil
-Ellee Duke, “Deeper”
-David Archuleta, “Faith in Me”
Nominees for best blog:
Best new site:
Best reporting: Jana Riess
I submitted several nominations a couple of hours ago, but I don’t see them posted here. Were they received? Thanks!
Thanks for the great last-minute nominations!!! I think I managed to get them all in! Here’s the voting thread: https://mainstreetplaza.com/2023/01/19/time-to-vote-for-the-2022-brodie-awards/
@Wendy, I’m not sure which book is your dad’s, but there were several books nominated in the first nominations thread: https://mainstreetplaza.com/2022/12/28/collecting-nominations-for-the-2022-brodie-awards/
@Ricky — Comments with links need to be manually moderated. Thanks for adding the links even though it sends the comment to the moderation queue.
@chanson, thank you for the link. I was able to find out who nominated it. My dad’s book is Rainbow Letters. This was a nice surprise to see. Thanks to those that nominated and seconded it. And having not heard of this blog before, it looks very interesting. I will read up!