2012 Brodies: Vote Here!!
Year-long awards for people and websites
Awards for Individual Works
Naturally, this is the part that kept me from finishing the polls yesterday as I’d planned — it was just so interesting to review all of these amazing posts from 2012!! I’m planning to skip SiOB this week (and do a double one next week) so that you won’t be distracted from reviewing the nominees! As always, I reorganized the categories a bit — adding or splitting some, deleting or combining others — according to which categories were strongly represented.
The links follow each poll, due to length restrictions on the poll entries.
2012 Brodies: Best LDS-Interest Book (Fiction)
- “The Girls From Fourth Ward” by Donna Banta
- “Marginal Mormons” by Johnny Townsend
- “Chaste” by Angela Felsted
2012 Brodies: Best LDS-Interest Book (Non-fiction)
- “Not by Bare Assertions but by Evidences and Reason” by Brad Garn
- “Understanding the Tao Te Ching” by Spencer K. Wright
- “Mormon Diaries” by Sophia L. Stone
- “Could I Vote for a Mormon for President?” by Ryan T. Cragun
2012 Brodies: Best LDS-Interest Comic or Image
(Vote on the image(s) found at the link, not on the post)
- Population Growth in the Book of Mormon
- Men are Incredible!
- I love my Mormon husband
- Cap Sleeves and a Polo
- Mormon Flow Chart for Your Soul
- CHIv1 Trivia Game, 2010 Edition
2012 Brodies: Best Poem
2012 Brodies: Best Musical Work
- Lori Crandallâ€™s “Iâ€™m Steppinâ€™ Up”
- Ordinary Van’s “This City”
- Hymn parodies: THEY, THE BUILDERS OF THE MALL, OH, HOLY CRAP, IT’S FILLED WITH LIES, and HAVE YOU STUDIED BELIEFS OF THE MORMON CHURCH?
- You Might as Well Wear a Skirt
- Put on Your Pants
2012 Brodies: Best Post Title
- Scuse Me While I Marry This High Guy
- In which an attractive woman sticks her finger up my butt
- Holy Crap! (pun intended) This Church Owns a Mall! (and why the Bloomberg cover gets it just right)
- If we’re so happy, why are we suicidal?
- New ILLINâ€™ LDS Newsroom Prophecy
- Talk is cheap…Unless you’re talking to a therapist
2012 Brodies: Funniest Humor Piece
- Romney on Labor Day
- Sister Sanctimonious Vol I:2
- When Richard Dawkins is Baptized
- It’s Our Moment!
- General Conference: What are the Odds?
2012 Brodies: Funniest Vignette or Anecdote
- The FAQ’s on Coke and Pepsi
- Oh the horror!!!
- Gay Trees and Gadianton Robbers: Election 2012
- He really just wanted Doritos, and I said no.
2012 Brodies: Most Poignant Personal Story
- But I was only 5
- And suddenly life imploded…
- Bury Their Dead
- Bull$#!t Mormon Stories that my Family tells Themselves
- Abortion Saved My Mother’s Life. Savita Halappanavar was not so lucky.
- The Cake Is a Lie
- My personal legitimate rape
2012 Brodies: Best Exit Story
- Words Awakening
- The Shelf of Doubt
- The Great Unknowing
- My failed Mormon resignation
- But Iâ€™m a good Mormon wife
2012 Brodies: Best Moving On from Mormonism Story
- Shunned and Happy
- I MISS YOU LDS CHURCH…er…I mean…I miss your potlucks!
- Are You Experiencing Ex-Mormon Stereotype Threat?
- Living IS the point.
- Answers to Prayer
2012 Brodies: Best Life Journey Post
- CTR (or, as Grace would say, cuh-tuh-err)
- Horseback Riding with my Dad
- The Virgin Prostitute
- Tell it like it is
2012 Brodies: Best News Reporting
- Is Sutherlandâ€™s â€œAbstinence-Onlyâ€ Data True or Bogus? Some Thoughts
- A Mormon in the Cheap Seats: Truth or The Onion?
- The Swedish Rescue
- Brazil mystery: Case of the missing Mormons (913,045 of them, to be exact)
- A Change Would Do You Good, parts 1, 2, 3 + timeline
- Google Apostasy spreads to the United States
- The Bott Gaffe: A Chronology
2012 Brodies: Best LDS Church Watch
- Hold Your Breath…
- Pay Lay Missionary
- December 2012 Ensign Highlights
- Can BYU kick out students for deconverting? two parts
- Do Not Ever Slap or Poke an Elder
- Open Letter to Europe Area Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Andâ€¦The Book of Abraham is de-canonized
- Caff it up, Mormons.
- On immodest angels . . .
- The Racist LDS Church Accuses Randy Bott of Being Racist
2012 Brodies: Best Response to Apologetics
- AngelicFerritâ€™s project to translate the Book of Mormon into plain English.
- Lou Midgley Gives Two Tens for a Five and Hypocrisy and Personal Attack
- Smoking guns
- Tactics of a Mormon Apologist
- Is Anyone in Charge?
- Repudiating Sexism?
2012 Brodies: Most Insightful Discussion of the Practices of the CoJCoL-dS
- Comparing the LDS church to “the party” from George Orwell’s 1984.
- Why Mormons Are Okay with the Church Making Lots of Money…
- Fostering a Good Environment for Independent Thought (and Why the Church Fails to Do It)
- Drink coffee: unworthy to enter a Mormon temple. Torture people: worthy to be a Mormon bishop
2012 Brodies: Most Insightful Discussion of Mormon Culture
- Watch where youâ€™re walking
- Mormon Emotionality Compared to Other Constructions of Emotions
- Keep Campaigning Abbottsville Fourth!
- What it Means to Be Mormon
- Dick and Jane: or, The Marriage Trap
- The Cost of Being a Mormon
2012 Brodies: Best Discussion of Mormon (or former-Mormon) Community
- Shunning Your Fellow Saints: Youâ€™re Doing it Wrong.
- Because the Need to Understand a Relationship Often Doesnâ€™t Die When the Relationship Does
- Cultural Markers
- Second Class Citizens, a Series: Part-Member Family
2012 Brodies: Most Interesting Interfaith Interaction
- Romney’s Religion “Mormonism”
- Mormon Intra-faith Dialogue Under Controlled Circumstances
- When He Stopped Believing
- In the world, but not of the world
- Atheism and ethics — again.
2012 Brodies: Best LDS-Related Political Commentary
- My Spooky Republican Hell Dream
- Politico: Obama Will Ride the Cursed to Victory!
- Mitt Romney and a Mormon Priesthood Apology
- Blank Check
2012 Brodies: Best Religion-and-Gender Discussion
- A Woman’s Place Series
- The dignity of your womanhood…
- Everything I Know about Feminism I Learned from the 1970s
- Heavenly Codependency
- Why Language Matters: A Side-by-Side Look at a Lesson from the New YW/YM Manuals
- Is Gender Really Eternal?
- Step 1: Be Mormonâ€¦and Male
2012 Brodies: Best Religion-and-Homosexuality Discussion
- Winning And Losing On Chick-fil-A Day
- Same Sex Parenting Study Already Proven Flawed
- Moroni, Superman and the Atonement
- What the heart wants
- Circling the Wagons: My Testimony
2012 Brodies: Best Religion-and-Kids/Parenting Discussion
- What Will I Teach My Kids?
- The Christmas Stories
- Hamor: the best father in the Bible (Greater love hath no father than this, that he cut off his own foreskin for his son.)
- Holy Ghost Train
- Primary kids get what the adults don’t
- On turning 12
- Why I Canâ€™t Go Back to the LDS Church Until My Daughter Turns 18
2012 Brodies: Best Erotic or Sexual Piece
- Understanding the Male Sex Drive
- Commentary: “Women, Do Your Wifely Duty To Prevent Your Husband From Sin
- Male Sexuality In The Mormon Church
- My Vagina Testimony!!
2012 Brodies: Best History Piece
- Circling the Wagons
- Seers, seerstones, scrying, and folk magic. Timeline in the Palmyra area
- Joseph Smith and Baseball: The Evidence
- Thou Art a Whore
2012 Brodies: Best Philosophical/Theological Discussion
- What if we could edit the Bible?
- Billy Graham and Mark 7:9: No picking and choosing allowed! (You must stone to death your disobedient children.)
- Froggieâ€™s Creed
- The Trinity Explained
2012 Brodies: Best Review
- Under the Banner of Heaven
- One size does not fit all: Johnny Townsendâ€™s â€œMarginal Mormonsâ€
- Book Review: The Girls From Fourth Ward
- Joseph Smith: The Prophet of the Restoration
- Book Review: Could I Vote for a Mormon for President?
2012 Brodies: Best Recipe
- Pumpkin Curry Soup
- General Conference Cinnamon Rolls
- Baking is so NOT dumb
- Froggieâ€™s Autumn Cookies
- sharing the weight (recipe: strawberry riesling jam)
- Spaghetti Pie
The polls close on February 6 at 1am Swiss time — good luck, and happy reading!!!