Last call for Brodies Nominations!!
Here are the final categories. Nominations remain open until Friday, January 22, 2016. Please keep in mind the following as you make your nominations:
- Categories with fewer than three nominations will be dropped.
- Please do not nominate any one author/artist more than twice.
- I occasionally move nominees to categories where I think they fit better.
- In particular, I try to avoid having the same nominee in multiple categories, and I avoid having multiple nominees by the same author/artist in the same category.
- If your nomination doesn’t appear on the list at all, it is probably an error (so please leave a comment) — but note that I rejected a nomination of a piece that wasn’t from 2015.
- Don’t forget to include links.
- If you did something great in 2015 and weren’t nominated, don’t feel bad — nominate yourself! It’s likely that your audience just isn’t big enough (yet). Participating in the Brodies can help you grow your audience.
(Also, don’t forget to vote for X-Mormon of the Year 2015, if you haven’t already.)
Year-Long Awards for overall quality:
Best New Blog:
- Mormon Cluster-Facts
- Mormon Hurt (if the blog started in 2015 — I can’t tell — can anyone confirm?)
- Zelph on the Shelf
- Indie Mormon
Best New Podcast:
Best Discussion Forum:
Best Humor Blog/Site/Channel/Podcast:
Best LDS-Interest Interview-and-discussion Podcast:
Best LDS Church Watch/Analysis Blog/Site/Channel/Podcast:
Best Scripture Study Blog/Site/Channel/Podcast:
- Against the Greater Light
- Gospel Doctrine for the Godless
- My Book of Mormon Podcast
- Dwindling in Unbelief
Best Faithful-Perspective Blog/Site/Channel/Podcast:
Awards for Individual Works:
Best LDS-Interest Book (Fiction):
- Mormon Bitch: Illusions of Hope, by Mollie Hope Stewart
- Their Works Shall Be in the Dark, by Alex Hansen
- A Danger to God Himself, by John Draper
- Missionaries Make the Best Companions, by Johnny Townsend
Best LDS-Interest Book (Non-fiction):
- Moroni and the Swastika, by David C. Nelson
- The Book of a Mormon: The Real Life and Strange Times of an LDS Missionary, by Dr. Scott D. Miller
- The Accidental Terrorist, by William Shunn
- Mormon Feminism: Essential Writings, by Joanna Brooks, Rachel Hunt Steenblik, and Hannah Wheelwright
Best LDS-Interest Comic or Image:
- Fun with LDS.orgâ€™s Extensive Stock Photo Library by Jessie Jensen
- Brutally Honest Mormon Coloring Pages, by Gileriodekel
- Examining the relationships between the Book of Mormon witnesses and authors of similar books, by curious_mormon
- Mormon Marriage Flowchart, by AnotherClosetAtheist
- C3P0/Moroni, by canadianjohnson
- Number of times Jesus spoke about Homosexuality or prom dresses and the Mormon Taliban by Pat Bagley (can we pick one?)
- A statistical analysis of who is likely to lead the Latter Day Saints in the immediate future, by ammomfife
Best Mormon-Themed Meme:
- Adam and Steve’s Transgression
- Conference Memes, by Alex Hansen
- Fresh out of breaks, by PayLeyAle
- Stay in the boatâ€¦ until it’s your turn to get kicked out, by happy_apostate
- Any Opposed? by Weird Mormon Shit
- The courage to defy consensus, by BeastofChicken
Funniest Humor Piece:
- Church Releases Holy Ghost Simulator App for Children of Gay Parents, by Richard R. Lyman
- Dad’s Primal Scream’s Insta-Gay and Lickety-Split Lesbian
- Infants on Thrones song series: Disney Songs for Alienated Mormon Kids and Church House Rock: Polly Polly Gamy
- Updated Primary Songs for Children of Gay Parents, by the Debrief Society Podcast
- North Pole Quietly Updates Policy, by Runtu
- Gay Marriage? We’ve Got This! by Donna Banta
- Oh No! Itâ€™s Time for the Fatherâ€™s Day Whining to Begin, by Risa
Best Allegory or Analogy:
- Ignoring My Mother, by Cathy Barker
- 50 Shades of Grey: Mormonismâ€™s Accidental Allegory, by Gina Colvin
- Arkansas DMV Clerk Stands Up for Religious Freedom, by Runtu
- Love the Banker, but Hate the Bank: A Plea for Tolerance and Understanding for Our Brothers and Sisters Involved in Usury, by Michael Austin
- Spiritual Nardoo, by Petra
Best Post Title:
- Love the People, Hate the Policy, by Anarchist Soccer Mom
- Suffer the little children to come unto meâ€¦oh wait, but not THAT kid, by Steve Otteson
- Breaking: LDS Church Prepares to Baptize Dead Grass from LA Temple Lawn, by Timothy McFoster
- Mormon Bridges Falling Down, by the Debrief Society
- Porn Doesnâ€™t Kill Love, Ballard Does, by Flying Spaghetti Mormon
- Bishop demonstrates to the whole ward that women ought to be invisible, by MrsApostate
Best Original Research Regarding Mormonism:
- Nearing Kolob series on changing quote meanings with ellipses.
- Reflections on Discovering the â€œLost Mormon Caveâ€, by KC Kern
- Skin Tone Study of Mormon Leadership, by darthV8R
- Ziff’s series on presidential probabilities
- Joseph Smith Disorderly Disgrace, by Naked Mormonism Podcast
Best Mormon Scoop or Leak:
- Handbook policy leak, by FearlessFixxer
- Leaked text of future Heavenly Mother essay, by lds_fte
- LDS SECRET Leadership Information System (LIS), by David T
Best Personal Recording:
- Excommunication proceedings of Joe Rawlins, by Joe Rawlins
- Meeting with bishop, by youngestalma
- An audio recording of the Boise Rescue Mission, by cagelessbird
Best Church Watch:
- New Church Essay is Lies, by Kate Kelly
- 15 things you might have missed in the latest Women and the Church essay, by curious Mormon
- “No Official Doctrine”, by Mithryn
- BYU-Idaho Has Codified â€œVain Repetitionsâ€ of the Proclamation, by Nearing Kolob
- Tithing Donations Should Be Confidential, by Brian D.
- The Girls Are Fine, by Thunderchicken
- A Rhetoric of Indirection, by Julie M. Smith
- Raiders of the Lost Archives: The JFS Affidavit Books, by Thinker of Thoughts
Best Response to Apologetics:
- Now Weâ€™re Blaming the Victims? by Natasha Helfer Parker
- Philip Jenkins vs. Bill Hamblin (see this podcast for more info)
- Kennewick Man breaks Heartland hearts, by Simon Southerton
- Defending the Expositor series, by Thinker of Thoughts
- Visualizing the 40 wives of Joseph Smith, by Bill McKeever
Best History Piece:
- How the Book of Mormon Translation Story Changed over Time, by Christopher Smith
- The Life and Trial of John W. Taylor, by Bill Reel
- Primary Source of Isaac Haleâ€™s 1834 Affidavit, by TheWayoftheFuture
- The Stewart Udall Sequence, by Thinker of Thoughts
Most Insightful Commentary on the CoJCoL-dS:
- Does The LDS Church Have Anything To Say About War? by Casey
- Any Opposed, Please Sit Down and Shut Up, by Alan Rock Waterman
- That Moment When You Realize You Are Talking to Crazy People, by hawkgrrrl
- Church Offers Premium Membership Plan, by Richard R. Lyman
Best Mormonism-and-Orientation Post:
- Soulmates, by myrtlejoy
- Church Lovingly Bars Certain Children from Membership, by Stake Pres.
- Revelation that Calls for Others to Sacrifice, by Lynnette
- Duty Bound to Reject it! by Bill Reel
- LDS Church Clarifies Stance on Same-Sex Childhood Apostasy, by Russ Stewart
- Consequences, Intended or Otherwise, by Julie M. Smith
- Michael Ferguson, Seth Anderson/ Fighting Gay Conversion Therapy, by Mormon Stories
Best Mormonism-and-Race Discussion:
- You may be irreverent, but youâ€™re no thug, by LaShawn Schultz
- George Romney and the Delbert Stapley Letter, by Thinker of Thoughts
- Lester Bushâ€™s McMurrin Lecture and Q&A
- Lowry Letters: The Follow-up Discussion, by Infants on Thrones
Best Mormonism-and-Gender Discussion:
- What Mormon Women Get, by Thinker of Thoughts and Jamie Hanis Handy
- Why Itâ€™s Tough to Be a Mormon Man, by Angela C
- Baptism is Not Wedding Prep for Little Girls, by Brooke W
Best Exit Story:
- Why We Left, by the Turk family
- Too Faithful To Stay Mormon, by Zina Jacobs-Smith-Young
- I left my church for my family, by Joy Gabriel
- The Collapse of My Shelf, by the Fridge Profet
- Yerrrrr OUT! by Alan Rock Waterman
- she is risen, by Stephanie
- Take This Church and Shove It, by Donna Banta
- Leaving the Church: A Compilation of the Evidence Against the LDS Church, by Eric Nelson
Best Faith Journey Piece:
- The Highway to Hell, by myrtlejoy
- Why I Love the LDS Church Enough to Both Criticize It AND Step Away From It, by Clean Cut
- The evolution of my beliefs about Mormonism, by Kuri
- 10 DOs and DON’Ts For Thanksgiving With Your Mormon Family, by Zina Jacobs-Smith-Young
- 10 Ways to Feel Better About the LDS Church Being Terrible to Gay Families, by Casey
- Appearing on the TLC Network will only get you into trouble, by Gay Mormon Southpaw
- Dear Bishop: With Love, Mormon Women, by Lisa Torcasso Downing
Most Poignant Personal Story:
- Just realized that one of my favorite primary teachers I had growing up, was most likely a lesbian, by Sasq2222
- My Life At BYU-I As a Gay Mormon, by Patriarch Joseph Fielding Smith
- 234 LDS Mass Resignation Interviews, by Sage Turk
- I just ache, by Kiley
- How I lost my faith by newnamemiriam
- My first time going through the temple, by lucysmacksmith
- Russell Baker-Gorringe at the Opening of the 2015 Salt Lake Pride Festival (link missing)
Best Mormon Parenting Piece:
- Dad’s Primal Scream’s series on his kids and the policy
- marriage equality, gender equality, and parenting, by kait2lyn
- No Longer Worthy Enough: Of Policies and Priesthood, by Joseph Broom
- Blaming Parents vs. Mourning with Those Who Mourn, by Jon G.
Best Real-Life Act or Activism:
- The creation of the Mormon Spectrum in-person community network
- Chubs Gato offering free resignation services
- Free BYU’s challenge to BYU’s accreditation
- Chelsey Sidler-Lartey’s suicide awareness gallery
Most Interesting Interfaith Interaction:
- Mormon grandma makes stuffed animals to comfort her Muslim doctor
- Passive aggressive notes… by Knotty
- Interfaith service at the opening of the 2015 Salt Lake Pride Festival, hosted by Community of Christ (Linkhart, Bryant)
Best from-the-pulpit speech/sermon:
- a speech at the First Unitarian Church in Salt Lake City, by John Dehlin
- Visibly One in Christ, a sermon to the Salt Lake City congregation of Community of Christ based on Galatians 3:27-28, by Stephen M. Veazey
- Millions Shall Know Brother Joseph Again a sermon to a devotional at BYU-Idaho, by Jayson Kunzler
Most fantastic r/mormon AMA:
- Temple Custodian
- Infants on Thrones
- church employee Daniel Miller — link needed
- Dear Dad, by Alice_McCann
- This category needs more nominations in order to be included
Best Podcast Series or Episode:
- I am dropping this category because there has been such a flowering of podcasts lately that the category has become too generic, like having a “best blog post” category. Nominations have been moved to more specific categories (except “Book of Mormon CC” — I could not identify what that is, please clarify)
Thanks for all the great nominations so far!! Please add your final nominations in the comments! 😀
(Also, if you are the author/artist of one of these nominations and you see an error or you would like your work removed or moved to a different category or something, please comment.)
Best poem – Mormonism and Me by Tanner Gilliland
I’m not sure if this goes in Best Comic or Image, or in Best Meme, but the Facebook conversation between various Mormon icons about the seer stone takes the cake:
This series was already nominated for best historical piece, but I think it could also be nominated for best piece on Mormonism and Race: “Stewart Udall Sequence” at http://thoughtsonthingsandstuff.com/stewart-udall-sequence-i-the-conscience-of-a-jack-mormon/
Funniest Humor Piece: http://zelphontheshelf.com/the-8-worst-yankee-candles-to-buy-an-ex-mormon/
Shameless personal plug for Best Title: “If You’re A Pharisee and You Know It Wash Your Hands”
As a side note, any content attributed to Richard R. Lyman, can be attributed to Tanner Gilliland. I’ll let the other Zelphies decide if they want to do the same.
Quick comment on your final category: best podcast series or episode. I think it may be referring to the episode of the naked mormonism podcast titled “CC – Book of Mormon”. It was a 7.5 hr deconstruction of the BoM. This is merely a guess at trying to clarify though, I’m not 100% sure.
Yes, I was referring to Naked Mormonism’s episode “Book of Mormon: CC”
Here is the missing AMA link
@1 Do you have a link?
@2 It’s very true that the Stuart Udall sequence could also be in the “Mormonism and Race” category. The main problem is that Thinker of Thoughts already has a different entry in that category. TofT can feel free to comment about which of his posts he’d like to have in which category, but I really try to avoid having multiple posts by the same author in the same category because I don’t want someone to lose simply because their own pieces are competing against each other.
The same is true, BTW, of the “Yankee Candle” nomination. I can add that one to the humor category if you like (competing against your blog’s “Holy Ghost Simulator App” post), or I could put it in another category, or I could replace the “Holy Ghost Simulator App” nomination with the “Yankee Candle” nomination. Just tell me which solution you prefer.
Also, thanks for any clarification on how you’d like the various posts from your blog attributed. 😀
@3 & @4 Do you have a link? Sounds like I can put that one in the “Scripture Study” category.
Link for CC-Book of Mormon episode nakedmormonismpodcast.com/episodes.html. The episode is a few down on the list.
p.s. As usual, I’m asking everyone to include links to their nominations, but the links can cause your comment to get caught in the spam filter. If your comment doesn’t appear right away, either post a followup comment (without links) alerting me to look for the missing comment, or just email me directly: chanson dot exmormon at gmail dot com.
@7 Bryce — Actually it looks like I don’t currently have a category for individual pieces on scriptures. So we have a few options:
1. You can look at the categories for individual works, and see if there’s a different episode from your podcast to nominate in one of the existing categories, or
2. I can add a category for “Best Scripture Study/Analysis Piece” — and then I (and others) can go through the other scripture-study blogs/podcasts and pick each one’s best post/episode, to fill out the category, or
3. Both of the above if you haven’t already nominated yourself twice.
@10 I haven’t nominated myself at all yet, so I suppose option 3 would be best in my opinion. It looks like the episode could fit under the “Best Scripture Study Blog/Site/Channel/Podcast:” category, however, the entire podcast isn’t about scripture study, it’s just that one episode. I would like to nominate the CC-BoM episode for that category, or for the category proposed in option 2 of your last comment. Other than that, I would like to nominate “Episode 20 â€“ Joe the Ignoramus, and the Book of Pukei” for best post title. Found on that same link http://nakedmormonismpodcast.com/episodes.html. I suppose those are my two official shameless self-nominations.
Best /r/mormon AMA: Lindsay Hansen Park
Best Response to Apologetics: A Beginner’s guide to choosing witnesses by AmoraTambora
I can’t find a recording of Russell Baker-Gorringe’s remarks at the Interfaith sermon. Perhaps, you had to be there. 🙂 Shout out: does anyone know someone who can contact him or find out if the service was recorded?
I always love Bagley’s cartoons, but if I had to choose one of the two, then in light of the magnitude of the LDS church’s defacto declaration of war against LGBT families in 2015, I would choose this one.
@11 OK, sounds good. I’ll add your nomination for “Best Post Title”, and I’ll throw in a new “individual works” category for scripture study/analysis.
Anyone reading this who would like to help fill this category with your favorite post from one of the scripture study sites above, that would be great! 😀
Bryce, you’re friends with David from “My Book of Mormon”, aren’t you? Maybe you could help identify his best episode of 2015 for nomination in this category.
These can fill up the category.
I am a fan of My Book of Mormon, so I will weigh in 🙂
@14 & @15 Thanks!
But could you pick one or the other? As I said, I really prefer not to have two pieces by the same author/artist competing against each other in the same category. It splits that person’s fans’ votes, decreasing their chances of winning.
I’m sure that one or more of the scripture-study blogs had a post worth nominating in 2015, plus there may well be other blogs and podcasts that aren’t necessarily focused on scripture study, but had one article, episode, or series that deserves to be nominated (like Naked Mormonism’s “CC-BoM” series).
Best Poem: I don’t see a god by BYUDinamarca
Best Poem: A poem for my brothers and sisters by Joanna Brooks
Best Poem: When the banks became cathedrals by FractalBloom
Most Insightful Commentary on the CoJCoL-dS: A letter to LDS teenagers by Oliver_DeNom
edit: fix formatting
Okay, we can do the Abraham one.
I came over here to nominate a couple of my favorites – Johnny Townsend and Against the Greater Light, only to find them already nominated. I also discovered that I’m woefully behind on my reading/listening/viewing. What an exciting year with so much new talent! I’m looking forward to checking out the many sites I haven’t visited yet and then voting. Oh, and thank you, chanson, for nominating a couple of my posts. 🙂
Thanks, as always, for doing this!
Here is a fixed link:
Best LDS-Interest Comic or Image: C3P0-Moroni by canadianjohnson
Thanks everyone for all the great nominations — you have a little time left to get a last few in!
@19 No problem. Actually, if you want to nominate a post from “Against the Greater Light” for the new scripture study category, that would be cool. I would do it myself, but I’ve already nominate the author twice.
Great suggestion! Since I’m a fan of good old Samuel the Lamanite, I’ll nominate one of “Against the Greater Light’s” Prick on the Wall posts. 🙂
Helaman 13: Another Prick on the Wall http://questioningthechurch.blogspot.com/2015/12/helaman-13-another-prick-on-wall.html
Shameless self promotion (if nominations are still open…):
Best LDS interest comic or image
Blacks and the Scriptures – Apologetics to Apology (comic)
Best Original Research
Conflicted Men of the Nauvoo City Council
How in the hell is “General Conference: Infant Style” from April 2015 not in funniest humor piece? http://infantsonthrones.com/general-conference-infant-style/
This was the original one with Packer getting all honey and Perry talking about penises and vaginas. So damned funny.
@24 That’s a good choice, but we already have one nomination for the Infants in that category. As explained above, one entry per artist per category. 😉
@23 you’ve just gotten in under the wire — I’m preparing the polls right now. 😉
@23 correction — I’m sorry, I have to reject one of the two because you already have other posts nominated in the relevant categories. 😉
Nominations are closed and voting has begun!