Collecting Nominations for the 2018 Brodie Awards!!
The nomination process for X-Mormon of the Year is underway — please be sure to get in your nominations before next weekend when the voting begins.
Now, it’s also time to start on the Brodie Awards!! The Brodie Awards are a fun little yearly activity intended to give some extra recognition and signal boost to the best LDS-interest content published/posted during the past year. This is your opportunity to review your favorite pieces, find out about great works you may have missed, and even promote your own work!
As usual, I will start by posting a list of suggested categories (from last year), but the precise list of award categories depends on your suggestions. Please feel free to browse the sidebar for ideas on award categories we’ve used in the past for ideas. Below the suggested categories, I will post the nomination guidelines.
Year-long awards for people and groups:
- Best New Blog/Channel/Podcast
- Best Humor/Satire Blog/Channel/Podcast
- Best Mormon History Blog/Channel/Podcast
- Best LDS-Church-Info Site
- Best LDS-interest Discussion Forum
- Best Exmormon Reddit Contributor
Awards for Individual Works:
- Best LDS-Interest Book (Fiction)
- Best LDS-Interest Book (non-fiction)
- Best LDS-Interest Song
- Best Poem
- Best LDS-Interest Comic or Image
- Best Post Title
- Funniest Humor Piece
- Funniest Parody
- Best Metaphor/Analogy/Allegory
- Best From the Pulpit Sermon
- Most Poignant Personal Story
- Best Exit Story
- Best Life Journey Piece
- Best Activist/Activtist Movement Within Mormonism
- Best Leak or Personal Recording
- Best LDS Church Watch Piece
- Best Response to Apologetics
- Best LDS-Culture Piece
- Best History Piece
- Best Scripture Study Piece
- Best Discussion on Parenting
- Best Discussion on Orientation
- Best Best Discussion on Gender
- Best Discussion on Race
- Most Insightful Commentary on the CoJCoL-dS
- Best Philosophical/Theological Discussion
- Best Podcast Episode
- Best Short Media Presentation
- Best Book Review
And here are the nomination guidelines:
- Please nominate as many people, books, blogs, sites, podcasts, songs, articles, images, etc. as you want. However, please do not nominate more than two individual works by any one author/artist.
- You are encouraged to nominate your own works. No one knows better than you do which pieces were your best. No more than two, though.
- Please nominate works that first appeared during 2018.
- Please try to nominate people and works that have some connection with Mormonism (eg. either the work touches on Mormonism, or the author is a current or former Mormon and/or is an active participant in our community).
- A category must have at least three nominations in order to be included in the voting and awards phase.
- You may suggest your own categories — however please do it as early as possible in the nominations process, to give others plenty of time to add nominations in your proposed categories.
- Any other proposed changes to the categories or to the guidelines are welcome — feel free to discuss it in the comments.
- The nominations will be open until mid-January, 2019, depending on my schedule. I will finalize the dates and categories and add my own nominations a few days before the nominations close and voting begins.
How to nominate: Just post your nominations as comment to this thread, but please include links to the works you nominate. If your nomination comment ends up in the spam filter, please email me (chanson dot exmormon at gmail dot com) and I will fish it out.
I can’t wait to review all of the best works from 2018!!!
Best Life Journey: Project Zion Podcast: Royleane and Steve Otteson
Best Podcast Episode: Mormon Happy Hour: Sam Young Reacts to Episode of This American Life
Best Life Journey: Radio West interview with Tara Westover about her book, “Educated”
Best History Piece: Mormonism Research Ministry: Brigham Young’s “Adam is God” sermon.
Best Comic or Image: Cosmomormon, Volume 1, Issue 5 by Reddit user CosmoMormonMagazine
(earlier nominations of CosmoMormonMagazine cover likely triggered spam filter for some reason and are stuck there)
Best New Blog/Channel/Podcast: Marriage on a Tightrope
Best Leak: McKenna Denson/Joseph Bishop interview
Best Podcast Episode: Radio Free Mormon: General Conference Death March
Best new podcast: Drunk Mormon Podcast https://drunkmormonpodcast.com/
Best LDS-Interest Song: Theme song to https://drunkmormonpodcast.com/2018/10/28/24-mormon-ghost-stories-our-halloween-special/
Best Op-Ed: Fred Karger: Chenoweth should bow out of performance with Tabernacle Choir. in the Salt Lake Tribune.
Best Comic or Image: Pat Bagley: Buyer Beware
Funniest Parody: https://i.redd.it/4871rkrmars11.png
Cosmomormon Magazine, issue 5
Best podcast episode: Mormon Happy Hour episode 32
Best activism movement within the church, of course Sam Young and Protect LDS Children
Best podcast: Mormon Happy Hour
Best new podcast: Latter-Day Lesbian
Best podcast episode: No man knows my herstory: episode 42 happy birthday to Kelsae and a coming out story
Best podcast No man knows my herstory
Best new podcast: Latter-day lesbian
Most poignant personal story:
Tara Westover from her book Educated
Best New Podcast: Latter-Day Lesbian
Best Exmormon Reddit Contributor: Stan Way “Faithful TBM”
Most Poignant Personal Story: Tara Westover
Best Podcast: Naked Mormonism
Best New Podcast: Glass Box Podcast
Best Humor Piece: Zelph on the Shelf, Mormon-forcement Pornography
Best Church Watch Piece:
New York Times Obituary for Thomas Monson
Best Podcast Episode, Bill Reel, Mormon Discussions: Elder Holland, Liar Liar Pants on Fire
Best Full Length Media Presentation: Church and State documentary film by Holly Tuckett and Kendall Wilcox
Best New Podcast: The Drunk Mormon Podcast
Best Podcast Episode: “We Know Who Bigfoot Is”
Best New Podcast has to be The Drunk Mormon Podcast!
Best Podcast Episode: The Frickin’ Golden Plates!!
Top Three Mormon Happy Hour BEST Episodes!
Interview with NewNameNoah Mike Norton on his Arrest for Trespassing LDS Temple
Interview with Sam Young after 23 Day Hunger Strike
Mormon Sexual Trauma Dumpster Fire
My favorite Mormon Happy Hour episodes:
Soaking is Fundamental
Interview with Gina Colvin and Natasha Helfer Parker
Queer Polygamy with Blaire Ostler
An Evening with the Drunk Mormon Podcast
Best Humor Podcast: The Drunk Mormon Podcast
Best Mormon History Podcast-Gotta be The Drunk Mormon Podcast
Best Episode – The Drunk Mormon Podcast: Joseph Smith: Egyptologist
Best New Podcast – Wardless: A Post-Mormon Field Guide wardlesspodcast.com
Best Podcast Episode – 004 What’s Underneath: Dealing with Garments
Best Podcast Episode – 003 Exit Strategy: Stopping Church Attendance
Wardless Podcast best new podcast!
Best live journey piece by Anna Vinney
Best life story by Anna Viney
@Jodie and @Lairen — Thanks for the additional suggestions. Unfortunately the awards are already done for this year.