Vote for William Law X-Mormon of the Year 2013!!!
Remember that the “X” in “X-Mormon of the Year” is a variable that can stand for any kind of non-mainstream Mormon (eg. feminist Mormon, fundamentalist Mormon). As you will see in the descriptions below, many of the contestants are definitely not “ex-Mormons”!!
Here’s some info about the people in the running:
- Hans Mattsson was an “Area Authority” of the CoJCoL-dS who publicised his own doubts in the New York Times.
- Kate Kelly founded the Ordain Women movement, including organizing the groundbreaking attempt to attend the all-male priesthood session. (She is a faithful member of the CoJCoL-dS.)
- Judge “Bob” Shelby struck down Amendment 3 of Utahâ€™s State Constitution, which defined marriage as a union solely between a man and a woman, opening the way for same-sex marriage in the state. (Mormon/X-Mormon status not entirely substantiated…)
- Curtis Penfold resigned from the CoJCoL-dS (and got evicted and kicked out for BYU) after an anonymous informant tipped off the Honor Code office about his online writings (criticizing church sexism, among other things).
- Denver Snuffer got excommunicated from the CoJCoL-dS for writing a book that claims the CoJCoL-dS is in a state of apostasy.
- Kody Brown and his wives launched the court case that overturned Utah’s longstanding law against living in a polygamist-style family unit. (Members of the Apostolic United Brethren, one of the largest fundamentalist Mormon groups.)
- Tyson Apostol won “Survivor” — and quoted from the temple ceremony on television.
- J. Seth Anderson and Michael Ferguson were the first gay couple married in Utah.
- Chris Johnson used some big-data crunching to demonstrate the influence of the book “The Late War” on the “Book of Mormon.” (Mormon membership status unknown.)
- Nolan Mecham played Brigham Young in a series of dramatic readings of Brigham Young’s greatest hits. (Mormon membership status unknown.)
- Former Utah Attorney General John Swallow resigned from his post due to various ethics violations. His resignation (and the fact that it was filled by Brian Tarbet) may have led to same-sex marriage becoming immediately legal Amendment 3 of Utahâ€™s State Constitution was struck down. Then Sean Reyes took over the job of trying to stop gay marriage in Utah. (John Swallow is probably still a member of the CoJCoL-dS — according to some sources he is or was a bishop; membership status of the other two is unknown).
Pick your favorite!! The polls will close on January 23, 2014 at 6 a.m. Switzerland-time.
On the other side of the Bloggernacle, Times and Seasons has elected Darius Gray their 2013 Mormon of the Year for his work getting the CoJCoL-dS to repudiate its racist doctrines. Congratulations Darius Gray! And the voting has begun for the Wheaties/Tarefic awards at Wheat & Tares.
Also, our Brodie Award nominations are off to a great start!!! Please have a look, and make sure all your favorite works have gotten nominated!!