If you have any last nominations for the Brodie Awards, you can continue posting them here until the polls go up on Sunday, January 9, 2022.
For X-Mormon of the Year, you can vote here until Sunday, January 16, 2022 at 10:00 a.m. Switzerland time:
Here’s a review of what they each did in 2021:
- James Huntsman: In 2021, he filed a lawsuit against the CoJC-L-dS for fraud (using tithing funds for commercial interests rather than charity). Although the lawsuit was thrown out, it shed light on how a for-profit corporation can benefit financially by dressing itself up as a church.
- ExMo Lex who explained “soaking” to the world outside of the BYU bubble in a viral TikTok. (Until this year, I didn’t think it was a real thing myself…)
- Jeff T. Green, the tech billionaire who publicly resigned from the CoJCoL-dS while donating $600K to an LGTBQ group.
- Matt Easton who came out as gay during his BYU valedictorian speech. The speech was actually during 2019, but the impact was felt in 2021 when it inspired LDS Apostle Jeffrey Holland to give a hugely problematic speech about homosexuality.
- Russ/Rusty: I haven’t received clarification on what he did specifically in 2021, so explanations are welcome in the comments. His profile on the exmormon Reddit is here.
- Michael Quinn, who is probably more a candidate for a lifetime achievement award than for X-MoOTY 2021. He died in 2021.
And may the X-Mormon who made the biggest splash in 2021 win!!