Opening the Brodie nominations and closing the X-Mormon of the Year Nominations!
We’ve got some great nominations for X-Mormon of the Year — you can continue to add nominations until we begin voting on Wednesday, January 15.
And now it’s that time of year again to start collecting the nominations for the Brodie Awards!!!
This is the fifth year of the Brodie Awards! I seem to have gotten off to a bit of a slow start this year, but it’s always a little different every time. Please have a look at the winners from the last four years to see what kind of excellent content the Brodie Awards are designed to showcase!!!
As always, the categories are open to updates and suggestions, as are the guidelines. I will list off the categories from last year as a starting point, but the categories we end up voting on will depend on what kinds of content were strongly represented in 2013. This was a big year for books, for example, so I expect those categories to be hot!
Year-long awards for people and websites:
- Best New Blog
- Best Discussion Forum
- Best Humor/Satire Site or Blog
- Best faithful-perspective Mormon Blog
- Best LDS-Interest Audio/Video Channel/Series
- Best LDS-Interest Specialized Blog
Awards for Individual Works:
- Best LDS-Interest Book (Fiction)
- Best LDS-Interest Book (Non-fiction)
- Best LDS-Interest Comic or Image
- Best Poem
- Best Musical Work
- Best Post Title
- Funniest Humor Piece
- Funniest Vignette or Anecdote
- Most Poignant Personal Story
- Best Exit Story
- Best Moving On from Mormonism Story
- Best Life Journey Post
- Best News Reporting
- Best LDS Church Watch
- Best Response to Apologetics
- Most Insightful Discussion of the Practices of the CoJCoL-dS
- Most Insightful Discussion of Mormon Culture
- Best Discussion of Mormon (or former-Mormon) Community
- Most Interesting Interfaith Interaction
- Best LDS-Related Political Commentary
- Best Religion-and-Gender Discussion
- Best Religion-and-Homosexuality Discussion
- Best Religion-and-Kids/Parenting Discussion
- Best Erotic or Sexual Piece
- Best History Piece
- Best Philosophical/Theological Discussion
- Best Review
- Best Recipe
As you know, the idea behind the Brodies is to highlight excellent work from all over the LDS-interest Internet, and introduce as many people as possible to great blogs they may not be aware of. Our guidelines have been working pretty well — hence have pretty much stabilized — but there’s still a possibility of change if you have a good suggestion.
Anyway, here they are:
- Please nominate as many people, sites, and articles as you want. However, please do not nominate more than two individual works by any one author.
- You are allowed (even encouraged!) to nominate your own works. No more than two, though.
- Please nominate works that first appeared during 2013.
- Please try to nominate people and works that have some connection with Mormonism or with Outer Blogness (eg. either the work touches on Mormonism, or the author is a current or former Mormon and/or is an active participant in our community).
- A category must have at least three nominations in order to be included in the voting and awards phase.
- You may suggest your own categories â€” however please do it as early as possible in the nominations process, to give others plenty of time to add nominations in your proposed categories.
- Any other proposed changes to the categories or to the guidelines are welcome â€” feel free to discuss it in the comments.
- The nominations will be open for two weeks (or two-and-a-half, depending on my procrastination schedule). I will reorganize the categories and add my own nominations a few days before creating the polls to allow you to get in last nominations in the final list of categories. (Note: this is the one change from last year — I think that finalizing the categories at the same time as opening the polls was a mistake.)
I can’t wait to review all of the best works from 2013!!!