Vote for William Law X-Mormon of the Year 2010!!!

Which of these fabulous X-Mormons had the biggest impact in 2010?

X-Mormons of the Year 2010

You decide!!

For further info on the candidates, see the nominations thread. Remember that the “X” in “X-Mormon” is a variable (standing for different types of non-traditional Mormons), and doesn’t necessarily mean that the candidate has left the church or stopped believing).

Views: 13480
0saves

23 Comments

1. 1
    Chino Blanco says:

Can we get a ruling on Roy Halladay? It looks like we’ve left out a very obvious candidate:

Too bad no one thought to include Roy Halladay, who had a perfect game, a no-hitter in the playoffs, and a Cy Young in 2010. One of the best pitching seasons of all time.

Sports Illustrated: “Having been raised Mormon … [Brandy and Roy Halladay] are now nonpracticing …”

D’oh.

2. 2
    chanson says:

Wow, cool!!

I was able to add him. Of course, the voting has already begun, so he gets a slight disadvantage, but you have until Feb 11 @22:00 GMT to vote, so it should be OK. :)

3. 3
    chanson says:

Is it too late to add him to the graphic?

4. 4
    SLK in SF says:

Some great candidates. My favorite: Eliza Dushku, because I love what she’s doing in Africa. (I’ve never seen her film/TV work.)

My second choice would be Terry Tempest Williams, whose writing is like a good jolt of caffeine to the brain.

Honorable Mention to Bruce Bastian, for several reasons.

5. 5
    Matt says:

What an awesome field!!!!

6. 6
    Chino Blanco says:

Chanson – I’ll gladly add Roy to the graphic. Before I do, I’d like to get some input regarding another high-profile x-mo whose non-inclusion (I’m being told) is a glaring omission: Reed Cowan. I can see their point, b/c even though we interviewed Reed two times back in 2009, at the end of the day, the fact remains that 8: The Mormon Proposition has a 2010 release date. Anyway, just throwing that out there in case anyone would like to second an RC nomination here in comments before I update our graphic.

Regardless, if we’re going to add Roy, I would prefer to add one more candidate as well so as to get the number to an even twenty, which is a much better number to work with for things like press releases and the like (e.g., “2010′s twenty most talked-about tenuously-Mormon superstars”).

7. 7
    chanson says:

Fine with me — sounds like a good idea!

It looks like I should have done a “last call for nominations” post before the voting (like I did for the Brodies). But, since I didn’t, I don’t think it’s a problem to add the last-minute nominations after the voting has begun.

8. 8
    Jean Bodie says:

I think you should stop adding people. When we have already voted it seems a little unfair.

9. 9
    chanson says:

OK, but I do like Chino’s “even 20″ idea for the sake of the headlines. So I added Reed, but now we really, really close the nominations. And next year I’ll make a point to post a “last call for nominations” before posting the poll. :)

10. 10

[...] a great week, and if you haven’t voted for the 2010 X-Mormon of the Year, be sure to have a look! There are some amazing folks on the fringes of Mormonism, and they deserve [...]

11. 11
    ihedenius says:

Faith is an ex mormon !?
    That explains a lot …

12. 12
    Pope says:

When does voting close?

13. 13
    Suspicious Minds says:

Monica Bielanko who?

14. 14
    Chino Blanco says:

Monica Bielanko who’s currently in the lead. If you’re unfamiliar with Monica’s x-mo credentials, this is as good a place to start as any.

15. 15
    chanson says:

When does voting close?

Feb 11 @22:00 GMT

16. 16
    Carl S. says:

When did Elna resign???

17. 17
    chanson says:

Carl — As far as I know, she hasn’t. But disbelief and/or renouncing the CoJCoL-dS aren’t requirements for this award. It’s explained in the post, just below the poll.

18. 18

[...] one last reminder: even if you’ve already voted for one of the 2010′s twenty most talked-about tenuously-Mormon superstars, it’s not [...]

19. 19
    Chino Blanco says:

We never got around to talking about what prizes the winner will take home, but how about a couple of tickets to see God’s favorite musical? And considering the size of the field, a few modest cash prizes for the runners-up?

20. 20

[...] There’s only one day left to vote for William Law X-Mormon of the Year 2010! [...]

21. 21
    Chino Blanco says:

Maybe I’m getting the party started a little early, but here are a few examples why Monica Bielanko deserves all the good stuff that’ll soon be coming her way:

X-Mormon of the Year 2010:  Monica Bielanko

She’s the gal bringin’ the baby in the front papoose (and a whole lotta attitude).

22. 22

[...] she’s been sharing her pregnancy tales on Babble, in addition to continuing her photography, activism, and journalism (who could forget this tale surrounding Dallin Oaks’ understanding of civil [...]

23. 23
    Russ East says:

Hello,
    I wanted to see if I could share our ministry on your website…

Thanks,