Sunday in Outer Blogness: Violent Rhetoric Edition!

Folks, sorry Sunday has come a little late this week! I’d like to claim that I was just so busy, but really it was a combination of massive Spring cleaning, plus a bit of getting sucked in by the call of the Legos, and then forgetting (until Sunday evening) that I had plans for Sunday evening. So, all I can say is that at least my apartment is a bit less cluttered, but my mind is, well, same as usual…

Now that everyone has had some time to reflect on the Tuscon tragedy, we’ve see quite a number of interesting takes on the subject:

For some, the events hit a little too close to home, and people may or may not want to talk with family about it.

How to make heads or tails of it? Was the shooter mentally ill, and should we just accept that as a complete explanation of this tragedy? (Compare to this example.) How does Sarah Palin fit in? What about those famous radio/TV personalities? Do they go too far? Is it reasonable to be making money off them as entertainment? What are the effects of extremist rhetoric? Is gun-infatuation the problem or the solution? (Or why not blame gays instead?)

Some argue we shouldn’t politicize this tragedy, but maybe we need to look at politics to analyze it. Why not go for some radical political and economic ideas?

After the tragedy, life goes on. People work out their relationships with the church and with family. People are still chatting about polygamy etc.. Other amusing topics include apologetics and — what is this topic? — Theological History…? Plus some more follow-up on adult singles!

I just want to wrap up by saying I’m thrilled by how many people are excited about the Brodies — campaigning on their own blogs and such! If you haven’t voted yet, please vote — and have fun reviewing some of our best works from 2010!! :D

Views: 3888
0saves

13 Comments

1. 1
    Chino Blanco says:

Hey, totally O/T, but I just noticed that MSP was linked to from this ChristWire article: Do Mormons Think Theyre Better Than Christians?

ETA: Oops, now I regret posting the link. The author is batshit insane. Sorry.

A humane and spiritual idea would be if the LDS let Christians assume control of 10% of their assets each year. It would show that they are truly committed to American patriotism and the power of Christianity.

2. 2
    chanson says:

lol, yeah, I was going to say… It’s cool that we’re a go-to site for info about Mormons, but I’m a little leery of their sneaky plan:

I am reminded of how Roman emperors (and oddly enough, the Mafia) used to control new gangs that bordered their territory. They would overwhelm them with sheer might, knock off a leader or two, and then cede some power to one of their lieutenants, demanding that this man keep his own people in check. We should welcome the Mormon people into the Christian fold without embracing the entire LDS leadership and its most heinous beliefs. Maybe we need to find a few sympathetic members of their governing council, known as the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, who could embrace our long-term vision of American Evangelical Christian primacy.

3. 3
    SLK in SF says:

Chino, isn’t ChristWire sort of like The Onion for religion? That’s my understanding, anyway. :-)

On another note, I can’t resist sharing this here (with a h/t to Andrew Sulllivan):

I don’t think I need comment on the relevance. :-)

p.s. Thanks as always, chanson.

4. 4
    chanson says:

SLK — Sharing what? Your link didn’t work…

5. 5
    SLK in SF says:

oops. Here’s the link:

Gay Orthodox Jew Talks To A Rabbi

6. 6
    chanson says:

Oh, man! Sounds hilarious, but those big meanies at Comcast blocked it in Switzerland for copyright reasons. >:(

7. 7
    kuri says:

It’s not really funny, except in a shake-your-head-in-disbelief kind of way. But I don’t see how it violates any copyrights. It’s an original work as far as I can tell.

8. 8
    Chino Blanco says:

Chino, isnt ChristWire sort of like The Onion for religion?

Right, sure it is. Next you’re gonna tell me Landover Baptist is a joke, too.

(Full disclosure: I totally walked into that one and had no idea ChristWire was satire until SLK pointed it out above. D’oh.)

9. 9
    chanson says:

Too funny — I didn’t catch it was satire either!

10. 10
    Madame Curie says:

The real question is… is the Misfit Cygnet parody? God I hope so.

11. 11
    SLK in SF says:

Don’t feel bad, CB some Very Important http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/09/christwire.htmlnews organizations were fooled as well.

p.s. Thx for the hilarious Landover link. I especially liked this:

An Open Letter to All Teenage Homosexuals Living on Planet Earth. ~ From Prophetess Debbie

IT GETS WORSE!

God Told Me He Wants Homosexual Boys to Know 2 Things:

1. Jesus loves you even though you make Him vomit; and…
    2. It gets worse.

12. 12
    Chino Blanco says:

Maybe a non sequitur, but I was blithely reading along over at JMG when this popped up: It still kills me that so many of Christwire’s readers aren’t in on the joke. Hardee har har. :-(

13. 13
    Chino Blanco says:

By the way, the GLAAD media awards nominees have been posted and 8: The Mormon Proposition is up for honors for Outstanding Documentary.

In other news, I shared an elevator with Tilda Swinton this past weekend. There’s more to the story than that, but I’m gonna leave it at that for now just in case T. wants first crack at blogging about the encounter.